Monday, October 18, 2010

Peanuts and Emeralds

Actress Helen Hayes was sitting in the corner at a high-society cocktail party.  In her twenties, Hayes was quiet and shy and felt out of place with the rowdy crowd.  As she was thinking of an excuse for leaving, a handsome gentleman came over and offered her a dish of peanuts.  "I wish they were emeralds," he said.  They were married for 28 years.


I've always loved this story and I thought of it as I was making this fairy doll.  I gave her blond hair and a sweet smile.  She need something elegant to wear so I sewed a strip of black vintage lace together to create a beautiful, delicate skirt.  In her hands is a small silver bag.  I imagine Helen Hayes carrying a similar purse and would have had to put it aside as she reached for the peanuts. 

How did you and your partner meet?

No comments:

Post a Comment