Sunday, August 15, 2010

Inside the Cigar Box


For a person who collects vintage papers and embellishments, finding a cigar box at a thrift store is extremely exciting.  Love letters?  Old photographs?  Pressed flowers?  Cigar boxes are just plain romantic and they never fail to disappoint.  I found this box at a my local thrift shop and it made my afternoon.


Definitely a major vintage find.  Inside I found several old wooden spools of satin-y mercerized cotton thread (Mercerized cotton thread is the same shiny thread used in embroidery floss).  There were some great vintage labels on a few.


But the best and one of the most prized items that you can find inside a cigar box was the vintage lace.


This is more detailed view of the lace.  It's so delicate and some parts look a little irregular so I'm tempted to think that it's handmade.



Again, I really have no idea what to do with the lace, but damn it, I'm glad I have it.  What would you do with this vintage lace?

2 comments:

  1. I would keep the vintage lace for a long time, promising myself I'd think of something... then probably trade it to another vintage fancier who could actually craft with it. Or, I might try my hand at a hair clip flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the idea, Bright Circle. I hadn't thought about trading it. A hair clip is an interesting idea, though I have short hair and don't really wear them, but if I did, I'd definitely use a bit to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete