Monday, August 9, 2010

Pitfalls of the Custom Order

I recently received a custom order from a lovely seller I met in the Etsy forums.  She purchased an angel ornament and asked whether my little bride doll could also be made into an ornament.  I tried doing this last year and it was a small nightmare.  The poor thing kept flopping around the ornament like a pair of pants in the dryer.  I thought I'd give it another ago and and to my surprise, voila! 


Solid.  You'd have thought she's was anchored in there with rebar.  These are pictures of my prototype which I was so excited about and listed in my shop right away. 


But when I tried to do the actual custom piece, holy mackerel, same old problems.  I had to take a cookie break (thin, crisp lemon cookies with lemon frosting I keep in the freezer-you should try it).  I finally finished the custom piece but I'm going to have to find a more efficient way of doing this.  Whew.  Potential good news, though.  I may have tracked down materials to make a wedding groom.  If I can pull this off I can make custom wedding cake toppers.  Oh, yeaaah....

2 comments:

  1. WHEW! I was tired for you! I know how tricky the beginnings of a new project can be. My necklaces have seen many a frustrated hour!! I look forward to seeing your groom though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you had lots of work to do! I have had things like that happen to me too. Your ornament is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete