Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thumbelina

"Thumbelina was raised from a magic barley seed and slept each night in a walnut shell cradle."  My parents read to me from a big book of fairy tales and I'd always linger over the picture of Thumbelina.  The story went that her little walnut cradle was polished so it looked like mahogany and that she slept in the softest of rose petals.  I'd pick up fallen rose petals in the garden and press them up to my cheek to imagine what it would be like.




I've decided to replace the walnut shell with a much more uncomfortable but charming nest made from dried, woven grape vines.  Instead of rose petals my Thumbelina sleeps snuggled in silk wildflower petals.  She's the baby I use in my Mother and Child dolls and I'm trying to figure out a way to create a piece using only the sweet baby.  So far I'm planning a baby Jesus doll which is just the right size for a Christmas nativity set.  Stay tuned.


1 comment: